Dental Health Week is a major annual oral health campaign, and this year, Dental Health Week will be on 3 – 9 August.
The main goal of this annual campaign is to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining optimum oral health and promote the message that no matter how busy you are, it’s possible to find the time to take care of your teeth and gums.
Dental Health Week: 4 Key Messages
According to the Australian Dental Association, the four key behaviours for maintaining good oral health are:
- Brushing at least twice a day with a fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Flossing the hard-to-reach areas between your teeth once daily
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting your Cardiff dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive care.
This year’s campaign, called “How Much Sugar is Hiding in Your Trolley”, aims to alert Australians about the indiscriminate consumption of sugar and its impact on dental health.
This includes recommended daily sugar consumption levels, advice on checking food labels, and spells out the effect sugar has on our teeth.
This information is supported by three main sugar messages:
- Avoid foods and beverages with added sugars.
- Select foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Check for hidden sugars when buying foods and drinks.
Making healthy choices at the supermarket means making similar smart food and drink choices at home.
Some of us may think that everyone has optimum oral health; the reality is, the oral health of many Australians is below our expectations.
- Less than 50% of Australian adults have had a dental check-up in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth only once a day.
- Nearly 40% of Australians never floss or clean between their teeth.
- 73% of young people are consuming too much sugar.
- 47% of adults are consuming too much sugar.
There are several ways to access sugar information as part of Dental Health Week this year. Contact Cardiff Dental today!
A visit to your trusted Cardiff dentist is great for one-on-one advice where your questions can be answered.
Cardiff Dental are:
- A comprehensive cosmetic, implant, and family dentist
- A local family-owned and family-run dental practice
- You have the option of seeing the same dentist every time
- Available to treat painful conditions on the same day
- One of the very few dental practices that are accredited by QIP (Quality Innovative Performance) for meeting the National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Cardiff
We are located at 434B Kelton St in Cardiff.
We look forward to seeing you soon.